AWS is a pioneer in Cloud Computing with its vast range of services and presence. Amazon Web Services is a market leader for years as reports published by Gartner magic quadrant. The demand for AWS skilled people is high, to learn and train your self on AWS platform you need to have an aws account from where you are going to access all the services. AWS sign up is a very easy, free and get some services to use in the certain limits process and will take only a few minutes. Today we are going to create a new account by following steps.
One thing to keep in mind that “AWS Free tier is not any separate account. It is the same account which we are going to sign up today. Due to new Signup, AWS is giving us few services with some limits of use to have a taste of their platform. Few services are free for a year from the date of signup and few are free forever. You can read more about service limits which cover under free tier”.
Let’s start and create our first AWS Account using steps.
1. Visit https://aws.amazon.com/ and click on create an AWS account which is at right top of the page.
2. Here you will see a form where you need to add a valid email account, A password which must contain few upper and lower case characters with some numbers and a special symbol like @ or $. it’s your choice that for how long password you can remember.
Make sure to remember this password or keep it in some safe place. This is the root password having all the privileges including Billing Administrator.
3. Choose the type of Account you want to open. If you want to for your personal use or learning select the Personal ( It will ask for PAN Number if you are in India. You can add it later also), if you are opening it for your Organization then select Professional, You need to enter your company details.
Fill all the relevant info and click on Continue.
4. Here you need to enter a Valid Credit card or Debit card Info for the verification of your Identity. This is very important as AWS don’t want that someone will misuse their Infrastructure so for validating a real user it’s required. Enter the card info.
( In certain Countries may be Debit card will not accepted at the time of writing this post. Make sure you check what payment methods are supported in your Country)
5. As AWS is registered in India also as AISPL (Amazon Services Pvt. Ltd) so they will charge Rs.2 INR for the verification which will be reimbursed after 2-3 Business days. So continue this payment gateway Process.
6. You need to Enter a valid Contact Number where they will call you for verification. It’s an automated call which will land on your cell in few seconds after you enter your number and captcha.
7. After you click on “Call Me Now” a new dialog you will be able to see where there are 4 digits will mention like the below image.
8. You will receive a call inuseseconds and using your dial pad enter the numbers which will be displayed on your screen. Once you enter the right 4 digits it will automatically show you the below dialog. Click on continue.
9. If you are going to migrate your Mission critical application or developing then maybe you can Opt for Business or Developer Support Plan. I am going to opt for Basic support.
10. Finally, this is a last step after you select your support plan option you will see the screen like below where you can select any option from the drop down for your personalized experience. Click Submit.
11. Again You will ask for login using the email id and password which you enter in Step 2. Enter those for sing in into your account for first time.
12. You will receive a welcome mail from AWS with few getting started links.
13. By default if open the portal in Ohio region. which you can see the top right. AWS has about 18 regions at this point of writing which is expanding continuously. You can learn more about their regions and their expansion plans.
14. Click on the All Service and you will see the drop down with available services. Click on EC2.
15. OMG! you will see this information that your account is not active. Yes, it will take some time for AWS to provide you their full services.
16. You can change your region from the region drop down list which is at top right side aside Support option. Keep remembering to choose the suitable region which is closest to your end users for better performance.
17. Again you will see the same Info about account activation which you saw in Ohio Region. If it is really urgent you can contact AWS Support from here by clicking on Contact Support and open a ticket and take them on call to explain your urgency. After the support call, it will take few minutes and you will be able to use your AWS account.
My Experience with AWS support is positive. I found within a minute after creating a support ticket and choosing Call rather than web/email you will get call and support person will hear your use case and activate your aws account. So maximum it will take 15 mins for all the process and you have your own Data Center with loads of mind-blowing Services provided by AWS.
18. Finally after 4 hours I got mail for my successful activation of aws account.I just wait for the normal procedure and didn’t create any support ticket. If you really have urgency I suggest to open ticket and request them to manually activate your account asap.
One More thing you will find that after creating your account if you try to deploy an EC2 it will fail due to Limits. Because AWS is strict about their policy for fair usage policy. when you open support case you can explain the same so your experience will be seamless.
Lastly, I really want to share that I see people are really confused about AWS Free tier and not understanding the use case and unknowing cross the limit and then got the bill. Really free tier is for the learning and understands about the platform and having a hands-on experience not for running the production level applications. Please read the limitation carefully or if you have any question on that feel free to put in comment or contact. Also, there are no specific instructions for creating free tier aws account. it is the part of the same signup process which is mentioned above.
Even I’m running this blog by using most of the free tier services and getting a very minimal bill. I will share the detailed post very soon.
I hope you have a seamless experience while creating your first aws account if you face any difficulty feel free to leave in the comment.